Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Phubbing can damage your relationship

“Phubbing” is a relatively new term, meaning ignoring others around you because of handling a smartphone. Many people seem to dislike being phubbed, as not surprising, according to a survey.

The Sydney Morning Herald: Phubbing and FOMO: a primitive impulse, bad for your marriage

Phubbing is observed in many situations. One of the reasons for phubbing is FOMO, or fear of missing out. You may experience being anxious to the responses to your post on the internet. Or, you should be eager to look through your entire timeline on Twitter. You can push the reload button again and again, like the last scene of “Social Network.”


In this article, FOMO enhances the activity of the amygdala, a region of the brain that regulates instinctive move. Some mental illnesses are considered to be relevant to overestimation of the amygdala. I am not sure whether FOMO can ignite the sense of life and death. Nonetheless, it is likely that it causes some primitive responses.

In my case, I was indulged in Twitter. I did not post tweet so frequently. Instead, Twitter was a convenient tool for gathering information. Therefore, I was willing to read all posts in my timeline. Unfortunately, it was not a wise way for effective learning.

Now, I seldom see Twitter unless I have something to tweet. And I am cautious not to be stuck to the internet, especially I stay with my families. The Internet is an innovation. However, it will not replace all of the direct communication forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment